Diabetes or high blood sugar condition results due to the underperformance of the hormone Insulin. Diabetes has created a global concern as more and more people are being affected due to their erratic lifestyle and faulty eating habits. The old and the middle-aged; irrespective of sex are the worst sufferers of this disease. Children also suffer from juvenile diabetes due to any congenital defect or obesity.
The hormone insulin is secreted from the Islets of Langerhans of the pancreas gland present in our body. Under-production of this hormone leads to incomplete metabolism of the carbohydrates, resulting in higher levels of sugar in the blood. Excess sugar is also expelled through the urine exerting pressure on the kidneys. Type 1 and Type 2 are the two types of Diabetes mostly known, of which the latter is of common occurrence.
Diabetes can be diagnosed by the following symptoms
- Excessive thirst followed by frequent urination
2. Excess hunger
3. Fatigue and weakness
4. Disturbances in sleep
Home Remedies for Diabetes
Diabetes is most cases cannot be cured but can be kept under control by making some modifications in the diet and lifestyle. Few tested home remedies to drop sugar levels can have a significant contribution in controlling this disease.
- Drinking about 150 ml of bitter melon juice early morning on an empty stomach regulates the blood sugar levels. Using bitter melon as salads or in curries produces effective results in treating diabetes. Bitter melon stimulates the pancreas and improves insulin production.
- Soak about 10 grams of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Consuming the mashed seeds along with the water the next morning is a good home remedy for Diabetes.
- Drinking gooseberry juice and fresh turmeric juice, mixed in equal proportions early morning is effective for this treatment.
- One can also consume a paste made by mixing equal amounts of dried gooseberry powder and turmeric powder in a little honey.
- Drinking a decoction of mango leaves in water also helps in fighting this disease.
- Taking few Jamun fruits regularly or chewing Jamun leaves twice a day helps in curing diabetes at the early stage.
- Cinnamon powder taken either in the form of tea or through various dishes produces excellent results in lowering the blood sugar level.
- Consuming the mixture of a tablespoon of gooseberry juice in a cup of bitter melon juice is another useful remedy for Diabetes. This should be carried out for 2 months.
Hope home remedies given in this article for controlling and managing diabetes will help you in lowering your blood sugar levels.
As in cases of other diseases, naturopathy recommends a diet and no drugs. The main purpose is to help the body to assimilate the sugar into the system and that can be achieved by a special diet. I would recommend about one kg of curd made from cow’s milk and various types of gourds without salt. The greener the vegetables, the most beneficial it would be. Sour fruits like tomatoes, oranges, pineapple, rose apple (Jamun), solanum (makoy) could also be taken with advantage. The patient can also take one or two chapatis made of flour, which has not been passed through a sieve. The person suffering from diabetes must take long walks (preferably ten kilometers) daily. Remember that the disease strikes generally those who lead a sedan try life, and are used to a rich diet.
Cereals, sugar, and preparations should not be taken for some time. The other method of treating the disease is by fasting for a couple of days and then eating sour fruit only for a week during which green vegetables may also be alternated with the fruits. Curd made from cow’s milk must form an inevitable part of every meal. If the curd is not available, about 50 grams of a germinated gram may be taken with every meal. After about a fortnight of this regimen, the patient can take bread made of whole flour.
Diabetics must take physical exercise as that helps to utilize the blood sugar. Walking, preferably jugging is the best exercise I can recommend. Hipbath recommended by kunhe is extremely beneficial in the case of diabetes, particularly for patients suffering from constipation. For leathery skin most management of diabetes in pregnancy develops, the best exercise is vigorous rubbing of the skin with a rough towel for fifteen minutes before a bath with cold water.
Allopaths while recommending a sugar face-free diet to the diabetic prescribes a high protein diet like fish, eggs, meat and lentils leading to an imbalance in his food. Advising patients to take saccharine instead of sugar, the allopaths expose them to the danger of slow poisoning. The harmful effects of saccharine have recently been observed.